Anderson Separates from Bluffton in Fourth Quarter
Credit Source: Anderson University Athletics
In a game of runs, the Anderson University Ravens women’s basketball team (5-4) separated in the fourth quarter from Bluffton University Beavers (13-4) to seal a 57-50 victory in O.C. Lewis Gymnasium on Saturday. The Ravens and the Beavers split their series, with each team earning a win on their home court.
- To start the game, the Ravens went on a 9-0 run over the Beavers, with Allie Owens, Lexi Dellinger, and Jade Shipley each contributing to the quick start.
- The Ravens continued to dominate in the first quarter, only allowing the Beaver six points as the Ravens led 16-6 heading into the second quarter.
- The second quarter went in favor of the Beavers. After two free throws from Dellinger, the Beavers went on a 16-0 run over the Ravens to take a 22-18 lead with 4 minutes and 11 seconds remaining.
- With 11 seconds remaining on the clock for the half, Shipley drained a three for the Ravens to send both teams tied up 25-25 into the locker rooms.
- The Ravens came out strong out of halftime, with Owens hitting a jump shot, and Dellinger draining back-to-back threes. Anderson led 33-25 with 7:25 remaining in the quarter.
- The Ravens held onto their lead through the third quarter while the Beavers were trying to make up ground. Anderson led 43-40 heading into the fourth and final quarter.
- The Beavers quickly took over the lead from the Ravens before Hannah Hawkins tied it up 45-45 at 8:32 with a layup.
- Owens knocked down a critical 3-pointer with 57 seconds remaining to put Anderson ahead 56-50
- The Ravens ended the game with a 12-5 run.
INSIDE THE BOX SCORE
- The Ravens converted 20-56 (35.7%) from the field, 6-23 (26.1%) from the 3-point line, and 11-13 (84.6%) from free throws.
- Anderson’s largest lead came in the first quarter with 1:13 remaining as they led 16-4.
- Hawkins had a double-double for the day, recording 10 points and 14 rebounds. The senior from Fairmount also had two blocks.
- Dellinger led the Ravens with 20 points. The junior from Berne provided five rebounds, one assist, one steal on the day to round out her stats.
- Owens and Shipley each contributed nine points. Owens put together four rebounds, two assists, two steals and one block while Shipley added two rebounds and one steal for the Ravens.
COACH LINDSAY SHADE’S COMMENTS
- I’m really proud of how the team responded. From the opening tip we played with more toughness and effort, which you have to do to beat a very good team like Bluffton.
- Hannah [Hawkins] was outstanding with 14 rebounds and some big baskets in the second half. Lexi [Dellinger] played really well after a tough game last night and then Allie [Owens] hit a huge 3 to put the game away. Our whole team was engaged on the court and on the bench today, which is always exciting for our coaching staff to see.
- We need a great week of practice to get prepared for Hanover next weekend.
The Ravens welcome the Panthers of Hanover College (4-2) to O.C. Lewis Gymnasium on Thursday for their final series of the season. Tip-off is set for 7 p.m