Peter Jok Named Big Ten Player of the Week
Hawkeye senior filled stat sheet in 2 games
ROSEMONT, Illinois — University of Iowa senior Peter Jok was named Big Ten Player of the Week. The announcement was made Monday by the Big Ten Conference office.
Jok, who collects his second Big Ten weekly honor of his career and first of the season, was a stat sheet stuffer in two games last week for the Hawkeyes. The guard averaged 28.5 points, six rebounds, two steals, and two assists in two games. Jok made all 10 free throw attempts and shot 59 percent (20-of-34) from the field, including 44 percent (7-of-16) from 3-point range.
The 6-foot-6, 205-pound guard registered his first career double-double in Iowa’s loss to Seton Hall, posting career highs in scoring (30) and rebounding (11). He became the third Hawkeye over the last 20 years to total 30-plus points and 10-plus rebounds in a single game (Reggie Evans — twice and Aaron Fuller).
Jok helped led Iowa to a 95-67 win over UT Rio Grande Valley on Sunday. The team captain totaled 27 points, two steals and one rebound in only 19 minutes of action. Jok shot a blistering 69 percent (9-of-13) from the field, including 62 percent (5-of-8) from long distance. The five 3-pointers equaled a personal best.
Jok and the Hawkeyes (3-1) return to action Friday when they travel to Destin, Florida, to compete in the Emerald Coast Classic. Iowa will face No. 7 Virginia on Friday at 6 p.m. (CT). The game will be televised nationally on CBS Sports Network.
Iowa and Minnesota Earn Weekly Men’s Basketball Honors
Hawkeyes’ Peter Jok named Player of the Week; Golden Gophers’ Amir Coffey claims Freshman of the Week honors
Player of the Week
Peter Jok, Iowa
G – Sr. – 6-6 – West Des Moines, Iowa – Valley
- Averaged 28.5 points, 6.0 rebounds and 2.0 steals per game against Seton Hall and UT Rio Grande Valley
- Shot 58.8 percent (20-of-34) from the field, 43.8 percent (7-of-16) from three-point range and was a perfect 10-of-10 from the free throw line
- In the Hawkeyes’ eight-point loss against Seton Hall in the Gavitt Tipoff Games, recorded his first-career double-double with a career-high 30 points and 11 rebounds, to go along with four assists and a pair of steals
- Poured in 27 points on 9-of-13 shooting (.692), including five three-pointers, and swiped two steals versus UT Rio Grande Valley
- Against the Pirates, became just the second Iowa player in the past 20 years to post a double-double with at least 30 points and 10 rebounds in a single-game
- Earns his second career Big Ten Player of the Week honor
- Last Iowa Player of the Week: Peter Jok (Jan. 18, 2016)
Freshman of the Week
Amir Coffey, Minnesota
G – 6-8 – Hopkins, Minn. – Hopkins
- Averaged 16.7 points, 4.0 rebounds and 1.3 steals per game in leading Minnesota to wins over UT Arlington, Mount St. Mary’s and St. John’s
- Scored 10 points, pulled down four rebounds and swiped a pair of steals against UT Arlington
- Chipped in 10 points, corralled four rebounds and added three assists versus Mount St. Mary’s
- Poured in a career-high 30 points on 9-of-14 shooting (.643), including an 11-of-12 output from the free throw line (.917), pulled down four rebounds and tallied a pair of assists against the Red Storm in the Gavitt Tipoff Games
- Became the first Minnesota freshman to score at least 30 points in a single-game since Kris Humphries in 2004
- Earns his first Freshman of the Week honor
- Last Minnesota Freshman of the Week: Jordan Murphy (Feb. 22, 2016)
2016-17 Big Ten Men’s Basketball Players of the Week
Nov. 14 Player (Co): Malcolm Hill, ILL and James Blackmon Jr., IND
Freshman (Co): Curtis Jones, IND and Miles Bridges, MSU
Nov. 21 Player: Peter Jok, IOWA
Freshman: Amir Coffey, MINN