Non-conference slate closes with matchup against Bellarmine
Evansville enters final non-conference game on three-game win streak
Credit Source: University of Evansville Athletics
EVANSVILLE – Looking to close the non-conference schedule with four-straight wins, the University of Evansville women’s basketball team plays host to Bellarmine at 3 PM on Tuesday inside Meeks Family Fieldhouse.
Last Time Out: Evansville 66, Miami (Ohio) 60
- For the third game in-a-row, sophomore Abby Feit paced Evansville with more than 20 points, scoring a game-high 24 points, while adding eight rebounds, four steals, and an assist.
- Junior A’Niah Griffin continued her emergence for the Aces, finishing with 16 points and five rebounds in the win.
- Miami (Ohio) was powered by Katie Davidson, who had 23 points and 13 rebounds for the Redhawks.
- On the day, the Aces shot 47.6% (20-42) from the field, its third-straight shooting performance better than 47%, while holding each of their last three opponents to below 34% from the field.
- The Aces fell behind 5-1 in the early going, but bounced back to take an 18-12 lead after the first quarter and never relinquished the lead.
- After leading by as many as 19 in the fourth quarter, the Aces had to hold off a late Redhawks run, but hit free-throws down the stretch to secure the win.
Previewing the Matchup: Bellarmine
- Evansville and Bellarmine are meeting for just the third time in the series and the first time since 1976 as the Knights lead the all-time series, 2-0.
- The Knights won the last meeting between the two sides, 74-42, in Evansville back during the 1976-77 season.
- Bellarmine last played on Dec. 19, falling to Western Illinois, 79-57 as Breia Torrens led the Knights with 19 points.
- The Knights were selected to finish ninth in the nine-team ASUN as Florida Gulf Coast was picked to win the league.
- Bellarmine senior guard Breia Torrens was named to the ASUN Preseason All-Conference team in the Knights first year in the league.
- Evansville is looking to make it four-straight wins with a victory over Bellarmine on Tuesday afternoon. It would mark the Aces first four-game winnings streak since UE ran off six straight victories during the 2016-17 season.
- The Aces secured their best start since the 2008-09 season, with a win over Miami (Ohio) on Dec. 19. A win against the Knights would match Evansville’s 4-1 start during the 2008-09 campaign, as the Aces eventually captured the 2009 MVC Tournament Championship.
- Evansville has won its final non-conference home game in all four of head coach Matt Ruffing’s seasons at the helm of the Aces program.
Abby Feit named MVC Player of the Week
- Abby Feit’s week earned her MVC Player of the Week honors after averaging 26 points and 11 rebounds in two wins over Oakland City and Miami (Ohio).
- The honor was the first of Feit’s career and first for Evansville since Kerri Gasper earned the award on March 4, 2019.
Getting to the Line
- Likely a result of the above note, Evansville has created more opportunities for itself at the line this season.
- Through four games, Evansville has attempted 100 free throws, hitting 66 of them, while sending their opposition to the charity stripe just 53 times where the Aces opponents have hit 34 foul shots.
- INFO: For all of the latest information on University of Evansville athletics, visit GoPurpleAces.com or follow the program on Twitter via @UEAthletics.
- FUTURE UNAFRAID: To make a gift to the Future Unafraid initiative and contribute to the Purple Aces’ response to COVID-19, please visit UEAlumniOnline.com/FutureUnafraid