Anderson Halts Bluffton in Overtime Showdown
Credit Source: Anderson University Athletics
The Anderson University Ravens (6-3) halted the Bluffton University Beavers (10-2) in overtime with an 85-76 victory in O.C. Lewis Gymnasium on Friday.
- The Ravens and Beavers started off back and forth down the court making it an 8-6 score in favor of the Ravens. Gavin Dowling recorded four layups in a row for the Ravens.
- The Ravens controlled most of the beginning 10 minutes before the Beavers tied it up 19-19 with 10 minutes, 7 seconds remaining in the first half.
- Every time the Ravens seemed to get ahead, the Beavers were right there behind them.
- With 36 seconds remaining in the half the Beavers tied it up 37-37 with a layup. To head into halftime.
- The Beavers took an early lead over the Ravens to start the second half.
- Back-to-back threes from Fred Shropshire and Ronny Williams took the lead before the Beavers tied it up 47-47 with a layup.
- Bluffton took a 54-49 lead with 11:24 remaining on the clock in regulation.
- The Ravens then went on a 9-0 run over the next two minutes.
- With time ticking down, the Beavers slowly started to close in on the Ravens.
- Ten seconds on the clock, Dowling hit a free throw to put the Ravens ahead 68-66 but the Ravens defense wasn’t able to hold off the Beavers as they ran down the court to put in a layup with two seconds on the clock to tie the game 68-68 and force the Ravens into overtime.
- A three from Williams put the Ravens ahead in overtime, but the Beavers wasted no time to hit one of their own. Williams then again answered with another three to give the Ravens a 74-71 lead with 3:34 remaining in the game.
- A layup from Francis Uzorh started a 10-0 run for the Ravens to secure their victory as the Beavers were unable to come back.
INSIDE THE BOX SCORE
- Three Ravens, Williams, Austin Lyons and Dowling each contributed 10 points in the first half.
- The Ravens drained 34-57 (59.6%) from the field and 9-21 (42.9%) from the 3-point line in Friday’s victory.
- While the Beavers forced 22 turnovers on the Ravens, the Ravens capitalized on Bluffton’s 20 turnovers for 28 points.
- Williams led the Ravens with 32 points to end the night. The senior from Anderson also contributed five rebounds, four assists and four steals.
- Dowling ended with 16 points (7-10 in the field) with seven rebounds, two assists, and two blocks.
COACH OWEN HANDY’S COMMENTS
- I am really having a hard time knowing what to say after this game. Bluffton is always a very hard team to beat because they are really good defensively, they run their offense with great pace and discipline, and they compete for every rebound and loose ball.
- The characteristic that has defined our team all year has been perseverance. We do not yet always execute what we want to have happen, but we do not ever quit.
- Ronny Williams was fantastic. He took over the overtime and was simply unwilling to lose. He is a fierce competitor who plays with great heart. I love coaching Ronny because he is strong willed, is committed to winning, and I can demand a lot from him.
The Ravens now travel to Bluffton, Ohio to take on the Beavers on Saturday to finish out the series. Tip-off is set for 7 p.m.