FINAL: #8 Iowa 84, Michigan State 78
- All-American Luka Garza finished tonight’s contest with a game-best 27 points and 12 rebounds for his team-leading eighth double-double of the season and 28th of his career. Garza eclipsed 2,000 points and 800 rebounds tonight becoming the first Hawkeye in program history with those minimums.
- Luka Garza reached 2,000 points in 113 games, faster than any other Big Ten player over the last 25 years (Indiana’s A.J. Guyton, 122; Wisconsin’s Alando Tucker, 124; Penn State’s Talor Battle, 124; Penn State’s Lamar Stevens, 125; Northwestern’s John Shurna, 129; Wisconsin’s Ethan Happ, 130).
- The Hawkeyes totaled a 39 bench points tonight, its highest total in a Big Ten contest this season.
- Joe Toussaint provided a spark off the bench recording 10 points and a game-best six assists; he reached double figures for the second time this season.
- Iowa’s last win over Michigan State inside Carver-Hawkeye Arena came on Dec. 29, 2015.